12 Week Weight Loss Course
Welcome to the 12 Week Weight Loss Course. We are glad to have you working with us. We look forward to assisting you in reaching your health goals.
My name is Abigail Hester (CNC) and I look forward to assisting you in reaching your health goals.
Why Don’t I Just Offer A Health Plan?
This is a very common question that I have received over the years teaching the 12 Week Weight Loss Course. The simple answer is that only having knowledge of what to do is not motivating to most people. The health industry has capitalized on this and yet most people have been left disappointed. In order for us to change our unhealthy behaviors we need to know “why” something is good or bad for us. The goal of the 12 Week Weight Loss Course is to teach you why we need to eat right, exercise and get proper rest. When I was training to become a Certified Nutritional Consultant at The Life Extension Center in Houston, Texas they had a saying: “Good health begins with knowledge”
Good health starts when you have identified the following:
● Why You Want To Live Longer
● Why You Want To Feel Better
● Why You Want To Look Better
Knowing where you want to be and identifying how you are going to get there is the first of the Four Keys To Success.
Like an automobile our bodies need the right kind of fuel in order to perform optimally. Our bodies need the following:
● Nutrients (Food & Supplements)
● Oxygen (Deep Breathing)
In this course we will teach you to eat good nutrients in small amounts throughout the course of your day. It is important to take a good multiple vitamin daily! This will give you the energy that you need to exercise and then you will be able to sleep well at night. Our bodies are over 80% water! As you continue through this course you will learn exactly how much water you should consume in a day. Our bodies need oxygen in order to survive. This make deep breathing exercises very important. In this course we will cover this topic in more detail.
We need both cardiovascular and resistance exercises daily. Having lots of muscle is one of the best ways to prevent gain. In this course you will learn how to sneak exercises into your daily routine.
If you want to learn how to box or just get in the best shape of your life, How to Box: Training for Boxing is a must read for you.
I had to share this picture! Just too cute.
Stress and lack of sleep cause our bodies to gain weight. Like food, water and oxygen our bodies need rest in order to perform optimally. Time management can help you to reduce stress. Take control of your day!
- Falling asleep faster*
- A good night’s sleep*
- The refreshment of sleep*
Things To Think About This Week
You will need a notebook for this section or you could simply create a Google Document.
1. In which of the Four Keys do you feel the strongest? List 3 reasons why your selection is the strongest. Tell me why you are motivated to keep this Key the strongest.
2. In which of the Four Keys are you the weakest? List 3 reasons why this is your weakest key. List 3 steps you can take this week to make this Key stronger.
3. What are 12 things you would like to accomplish in the next 12 weeks?
● Eat more often Eat 4-6 mini meals each day. Meals should consist of a fist sized portion of proteins and carbohydrates and a thumb sized portion of healthy fats.
Reasons to eat more often:
1. keeps food alarm in check
2. keeps metabolic rate high
3. more energy, less hunger pangs and cravings
4. easier on digestion and other organs
5. fuels muscle to support weight loss
● Drink plenty of water 8 -10 cups a day
● Add exercise to your daily routine Exercise helps to control your appetite while burning calories and building muscle.
● Get rest and control stress
● Support system is critical Be sure to participate in the conversations happening in our course
List the diets you have tried and why they did or didn’t work for you.
List 3 reasons why most people are so unhealthy?
Do you consider yourself a healthy person? Yes or No
List three reasons why or why not;_
List three reasons most diet attempts fail:
List three things we discussed in this class you can do right away that will lead you toward a healthier lifestyle.
List three obstacles that will prevent you from achieving the above goals.
List three things you will do to overcome the above obstacles.
List three diet changes you plan on making over the next 12 weeks;
Theories of Aging
Vitamins & MInerals
How Can Nutrients Be Obtained?
Are Vitamins & Minerals Safe?
Supplements have been used by millions of people for decades inferring that they are safe. We should not misuse or overuse our supplements. Some vitamins can be toxic at high levels. I would recommend taking vitamin A, D, B-6 and niacin only as directed.
The American Medical Association now recommends that every adult take a multi-vitamin supplement. Vitamin D and Calcium are now recommended by doctors for osteoporosis. The FDA approves conditional health claims for Fish Oil supplements, vitamin B, calcium and Soy.
The appropriate use of nutritional supplements should be a part of a healthy lifestyle.
What is an Antioxidant?
- What are the two basic theories of aging?
- What is a free radical?
- What creates free radicals?
- How do free radicals damage our bodies?
- What can we do to protect ourselves from free radical damage?
- What are vitamins and minerals and why are they important in our diet?
- What is a cofactor and why are they important?
- What are the major minerals?
- What is a trace mineral?
- How can optimal levels of minerals be obtained?
- What is an antioxidant?
Feel free to discuss these questions in the discussion forum. I look forward to your participation!